Duration of programs
The duration of study differs according to the levels (bachelor, master, doctor). The duration of study for high professional education program is determined 2 – 2.5 years, consequently 4 – 5 semesters.
- The duration of bachelor educational program is determined 4 years, consequently 8 semesters;
- The duration of master educational program is determined 2 years, consequently 4 semesters;
- The duration of doctoral educational program is determined 3 years, consequently 6 semesters.
The duration of study for high professional, bachelor and master educational programs might be prolonged if: student has failed and had to retake the course, if due to the various reasons master/doctoral had to take fewer subjects than determined and if student had to take academic leave of absence.
Even the prolonged duration is limited:
- Bachelor educational program – 6 years;
- Master educational program – 5 years;
- Doctoral educational program – 6 years.
Credit shows us with what intensity this or that course has been passed, how many hours has been spent in lectures, seminars or independent work. The University of Georgia employs a modern credit-based evaluation policy which is based on the experience of American and European universities.
The credit calculation is based on the European Credit System (ECTs)
- 1 ECT= 25 hours
- Out of 25 hours:
- 5 – lecture hours
- 14/16 hours - individual and practical work of a student, presentation, preparation of a thesis;
- 4/6 hour – exams: midterm exams (one or two), final exams.
- Majority of subjects consist 6 credits, but there are subjects with 1,2,3,4 and 5 credits.
Bachelor's program consist 240 ECTs.
Duration: 4 years, consequently 8 semesters
- General courses: 120 ECTs;
- Basically – I – IV semesters;
- Special courses: 102, 108, 114 ECTs, (depending on the type of the program, i.e. whether it finishes with courses, a bachelor's thesis or presentation) basically – V- VIII semesters;
- Internship/ practice – 6 credits;
- Bachelor's thesis 12 ECTs
- Presentation 6 ECTs
The practical programs, such as public administration, business management and administration, media, information technologies and others generally finish with subjects and/or presentation.
Mater's program consist 120 ECTs
Duration: 2 years, consequently 4 semesters
- General courses: 30 ECTs;
- Special courses: 60 ECTs,
- Master's thesis 30 ECTs
- 6 ECTs individual lecture/seminars with supervisor
- 24 ECTs research and presentation
Out of these 30 ECTs:
Doctoral program consist 180 ECTs
Duration: 3 years;
- Lecture/ seminars – 30 ECTs (10 ECTs per each year)
- Pedagogical practice – 18 ECTs (6 ECTS per year)
- Conferences/projects 12 ECTs (4 ECTs per year)
- Publications - 12 ECTs (4 ECTs per year)
- Research - 108 ECTs (36 ECTs per year)